Chicken Casserole with dried fruit on a bed of couscous
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
12 chicken drumsticks
6 whole small red onions, peeled
12 pieces (each 2 inches long) Jerusalem artichoke, peeled
9 ounces dried figs
7 ounces pitted prunes
7 ounces dried apricots
For the marinade:
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons honey
1/2 cup soy sauce
5 cloves garlic, chopped
3 sticks cinnamon
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
1 level teaspoon turmeric
1 tablespoon cumin seeds, crushed
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 cups dry red wine
1 package (about 18 ounces) instant couscous
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted
1. Mix all ingredients for marinade.
2. Arrange chicken, onions, Jerusalem artichoke and dried fruit in a baking dish and pour over the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 3 to 24 hours.
3. Preheat oven to 350˚F.
4. Bake uncovered for 40 minutes or until chicken turns shiny and brown. Baste chicken occasionally with liquid from bottom of pan. The dish up to this point may be prepared in advance and later heated in the oven.
5. Before serving, prepare instant couscous per the manufacturer's instructions.
6. Arrange chicken casserole and sauce over a mound of couscous, sprinkle walnuts on top and serve immediately.
Source: "The Book of New Israeli Food" by Janna Gur